July 30, 2017
Our Lord’s Use of Scripture
- Scripture (Old Testament) is the Word of God. John 10:34-36
- All of Scripture is the Word of God. Matthew 5:17-19, 22:31-32
III. Jesus continually cites Scripture. Matthew 4:4-10, 12:1-7, 15:3-9, 19:3-5, 27:46
- A key principle: the Old Testament bears witness to Jesus over and over.
John 5:39-40, Luke 24:27
Questions for reflection:
- Why is it important to appreciate Jesus’ view of Scripture?
- In what ways does Jesus’ view of the Old Testament challenge your view?
- In what ways does the Old Testament witness and point to Jesus?